I am grateful to emotional pain for leading me to Reiki.
A trauma left me feeling trapped and victimized, overwhelmed by questions of why, why, why!?! Anguished, I struggled to get out of bed and keep up with my personal and professional responsibilities.
Talking regularly with a counselor helped somewhat, but the pain persisted and I could feel my emotions trapped physically, as tightness in my throat and pain in my heart.
I coped as best as I could, unplugging socially, gardening and listening to podcasts on healing. One podcast discussed the hands-on approach of reiki for releasing “issues in the tissues”; in other words, stored emotional and physical pain.
Willing to try anything, I booked an appointment with a local Reiki Master. When I arrived, she greeted me with a smile and a hug, then guided me to her Reiki room. I relaxed in the calm and inviting space.
During the session, I was surprised when she identified my pain as anger! I hadn’t yet acknowledged this on a conscious level but had to admit she was absolutely right! Very gently, she helped me acknowledge and release my toxic emotions.
Afterwards, I felt lighter, both physically and emotionally. Days and weeks later, I was surprised by how much freer I continued to feel.
The benefits I experienced in just one session encouraged me to take other family members to receive Reiki, too. Each had a unique experience and everyone found it surprising, interesting and helpful.
Meanwhile, although freer and stronger, I continued to experience painful flashbacks. I decided to study Reiki so I could manage these bouts and regularly treat myself, family and friends.
- Reiki 1 heightened my awareness of physical sensations. Early in my practice I had some remarkable experiences with physical releases and healing, as I was surprised to witness in a client who had received a concussion.
- Reiki 2 developed my ability to sense and identify emotions and appreciate the relationship between emotions and physical and mental health, and the patterns we develop in response to pain. Identifying and releasing suppressed emotions as well as automatic responses which no longer serve us leads to less suffering; more peace and joy.
- Since becoming a Reiki Master, I have been able to sense unhealthy energy which can be released. I also regularly receive healing images, messages and stories.
I never believed I could do any of this…. and I don’t. Reiki does! With regular mindful practice, I have simply developed my natural ability to observe and describe how a client is responding to Reiki. These accounts can be illuminating, liberating and even life altering.
To this day, Reiki continues to support me through challenges. Through my practice, I find it easier to:
- stay grounded and in the present
- let go of worry, judgement, anger and control
- be guided by love, compassion, understanding and forgiveness
- take responsibility for creating an abundant life of love and learning
Overall, I am grateful to Reiki for strengthening my sense of connection with others. Our stories may be different, but we all suffer and we all want to be happy.
The more I practice Reiki, the more I find it guiding and improving my life. It helps me discover and gently release unhealthy patterns, and brings wonderful new people and activities into my life.
I am truly amazed by how much my life has changed since I discovered Reiki, and I believe anyone can learn to use Reiki to promote the health and healing of themselves and others.